Thursday, March 3, 2016

Getting Through February

The view over Yverson-les-Bains from the top of the castle.
It may be the shortest month, but February often feels very long to me. There are many reasons for that. Besides being the last full month of winter, it marks the beginning of a new semester, so there is lots of work to get our courses rolling. There is no school travel either. This year, my February 'blues" were also affected by the weather–rain, rain, and more rain.
A street of the old town.
The church in Yverdon-les-Bains
To spice up my life, I looked for things to do every weekend, and people to do them with. Early in the month, Kezia, our new social media intern, was willing to spend a Saturday afternoon with me in nearby Yverdon-les-Bains, a mere seventeen minutes away by train. This small town provided a charming diversion for us–made even better due to a rare appearance of the sun. The streets are lovely and the main square, la Place Pestalozzi, is notable for its castle and the reformed church of Notre-Dame.
The church interior

Carved choir seats.
Erected in 1757, this protestant church is made of the same golden sandstone as most buildings in Neuchâtel. We tried several of its doors of before we managed to get in. What a pleasant surprise awaited us inside! There are beautiful carvings adding warmth to its wooden features. Apparently, the acoustics of the building are outstanding, with many concerts held there every year.
The castle at Yverdon-les-Bains.
Kezia poses inside the castle
Crossing the square, we entered the castle, now a museum. It took us about ninety minutes to explore it. The many artifacts inside document the history of the area going back to pre-Christian times. Kezia and I learned a great deal in this place, and as we climbed to the top of a tower, we were treated to some spectacular views over the town.
Poster from 100 years ago
One thing we did  not do on this day was visit the "Bains" (the baths) in the town. In its heyday, Yverdon was a noted spa location; even today, many visit it for its waters. This is something to look forward to in warmer weather.
I should have dressed up, apparently.

These carnivals take place in many cities in the country.
A week later, on Valentine's Day, another short train ride took me to Biel/Bienne, a bilingual city only fifteen minutes east of Neuchâtel. This time I travelled on my own, because no one else wanted to stand in the rain with me. You see, I was keen to experience Fasnacht, the Swiss version of carnival.
Were these the seven dwarves?

Note the confetti on the ground here. 
I had first become aware of this annual event a year ago, when a friend had invited me to Basel to see the festivities there. Otherwise, I would never have heard of it, since it only takes place in the German parts of the country, never in Neuchâtel.
Motorcycle on the head?!

Octopi
For about ninety minutes, I stood under my umbrella and watched the spectacle pass by me. There were nearly as many people marching in the parade as watching it on this soggy day. Still, the locals got involved by throwing confetti at those marching along while some of the participants handed out flowers, oranges, and candy–and then tossed handfuls of confetti back at us.
A member of the Habs in disguise?

These were the least scary costumes of the day, surely.
I was quite amused when two floats with Canadian content appeared in front of me. Here, the attire differed from the usual grotesque costumes I had been seeing, and I felt a surge of pride in my Canadian identity for a few seconds.
Mufei in front of the Hotel du Peyrou. 
On the third weekend of February, I played host to a former student, Mufei, who had journeyed from France for a visit. In the late afternoon on Friday, I showed her the town, while the next day, we travelled together to nearby Bern. We were joined on this excursion by three of my colleagues (Patti, Adam and Kezia) and one of Mufei's former classmates (Harun). The six of us had a great time together, in spite of some rain.
My posse in Bern

Bern from Munsterplatz.
Patti and a Bern bear.
With consistent unpleasant weather, I often looked for ways to "go inside" in February, even on weekdays. With colleagues, I attended three classical music events in three different cities. The first of these was free–a dress rehearsal in Bern of the opera Un Ballo in Maschera by Verdi. Sarah drove Adam and I there after a staff meeting and although the three of us only stayed for the first act, we really enjoyed the music. Adam, a passionate fan of opera, has sparked my interest in the form, so it is no surprise that, at the end of the month, we went to Biel to see a complete production of another Verdi, La Traviata. This time, Patti, Christine and Kezia accompanied us.
Bern's Opera House
Adam, Kezia, Patti and Christine in Biel. 
Our head of school, Bill, had provided us with more free tickets a few days beforehand, this time to a Baroque concert here in Neuchâtel. Patti, Adam and I loved it and it was sunny that day too! There will be more such concerts to attend in March.
Baroque concert at the Temple du Bas
The last weekend of the month started with another visit from a former student, Vincent, who had been attending a conference in Geneva. Like I had done with Mufei, I gave him a tour of the town, where he posed, as all my guests do, in front of the Hotel du Peyrou.
Vincent at the Hotel du Peyrou.

Reflecting now on the February of 2016, it does not seem as dismal as the weather might indicate. Visiting new places, listening to beautiful music, and spending time with colleagues and former students lightened my mood considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment