Friday, December 18, 2015

London Calling

These elves greeted me outside of Hanley's Toy store in London. I felt just as happy as they were.
When I learned that NJC would not be organizing a theatre excursion to London this year, undaunted, I planned my own trip. One of the things I miss most about Toronto (besides the people, of course) is live theatre, so this weekend escape was like a tonic for me.
My hotel was in this townhouse in the Bayswater area of the city. Great neighbourhood.
I was able to get away early on Friday (you may remember that I have a plum timetable that frees me up at about noon), and make my way to Geneva for my EasyJet flight north. Due to the time difference, I was in London less than an hour later. I had to ask for help several times to figure out how to get to my hotel by Express train and tube, but I did it! 
The Aldwych Theatre is one of the many gems in the West End.
Shortly afterwards, I found my way to the theatre district for my first show of the weekend: Beautiful–the Carole King Musical. I grew up with her music and had heard good things about the this play. I was not disappointed; in fact, I loved every minute. 
Arriving at Burlington House.
The next day, my only full one in the city, was a busy one. While planning this trip, I did my best to lure friends in England to join me in London for part of the weekend. I am very grateful that some made the effort to meet me. 
Janet and Tom at the gate of Burlington House
Janet and Tom came in from Canterbury Saturday morning. They had suggested we meet at The Royal Academy of Arts at Burlington House in order to view the Jean-Etienne Liotard exhibit. I had never heard of this artist or this gallery, but I was intrigued. I soon discovered that he was a Swiss who worked primarily in watercolours. He made his reputation in portrait painting, and deservedly so, as he was brilliant. The fine detail of his works is most impressive.
Liotard self-portrait
It took about an hour to see the exhibition, and then afterwards, the three of us enjoyed lunch in the Royal Academy's restaurant. Our visit was short, but lovely.
The John Guilgud Theatre
Shortly after 2:00, I met Woburn grad, Emily, at the John Guilgud Theatre to see my second production of the weekend, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. This was a very creative and intriguing production of a book that we both had enjoyed. 

Emily in a bookstare
The rest of the afternoon was spent visiting some of London's bookstores and shops with Emily. I very much enjoyed being in an English speaking country, where I could read the latest titles and understand them! The London bookstores are beautiful too, with lots of wood and creative displays everywhere. 

Fortnum and Mason display
Because it was the Christmas season, we had to check out Fortnum and Masons. I was very tempted to buy something–anything–there, but the line-ups were too long, so I resisted.

Fortnum and Mason Window
Eventually, Emily and I made our way to the Soho area in search of a place to eat. We chose an Italian place that advertised itself as a vermouth bar; afterwards, we strolled through the illuminated streets towards the tube station that would take us to our respective destinations. I very much enjoyed my six hours with Emily. It was very sweet of her to make the time to see me.

Selfie in Soho
Carnaby Street was particularly festive
On Sunday morning, I woke up to an absolutely beautiful day. With several hours free before I had to check in at the airport, I decided to go for a walk in my neighbourhood. I headed south ten minutes and found myself in Kensington Gardens. I had not visited this spot for over thirty years.

A fowl feeder in front of the Serpentine

Preening ducks
As my photos can attest, the sky was blue, the water of the Serpentine was shimmering, and the ducks, geese and swans were in a very good mood, as they received a lot of attention that morning. 
Formal Garden

Statue of Victoria in front of Kensington Palace
I walked toward Kensington Palace, once the residence of Princess Diana, and by the Orangery, now a restaurant. A new feature of the area is the Diana, Princess of Wales Children's Playground, a delightful space only open to little ones and accompanying adults. Needless to say, I did not get in, but I was able to take a photo through rhe fence.
The Orangery

Pirate ship in the playground.
After a delicious Lebanese lunch on Bayswater, I picked up my bags and headed to the airport for my return flight. My time in London was much too short. What a fabulous city it is!!




No comments:

Post a Comment