Friday, April 3, 2015

Make Words Not War

The NJC team ready to perform!
This year, the spring NESDA (New European Speech, Debate and Acting) competition was hosted by the International School of Barcelona. As one of the coaches of the NJC team, I had the pleasant task of spending a weekend in this beautiful city. Although much of the time I was put to work as a judge, I enjoyed my time there immensely - with one major exception, of which I will write later in this post.

Looking towards the city from the harbour. 
Looking west from the tower of La Sagrada Familia
In order for our competitors to be able to see some of the city and not just the inside of a school , we left Neuchâtel on Wednesday after school, even though the competition did not begin until Friday afternoon. That left us all day Thursday to see the sights. Personally, I was very excited to be returning to a city that I had enjoyed visiting in September 2011. In fact, I was the only person in our group who had visited Barcelona previously.
Our bus company
On this windy morning, the beach was very quiet
The Agbar Tower
On Thursday morning, we made our way from our hotel (near the Plaça d'Espanya) to the Plaça Catalunya where we boarded a hop-on, hop-off bus. We were free to move around the city on these tourist buses all day. As we began our tour, from the upper deck, we could glimpse much of the southern portion of the city: the Roman wall, the beautiful harbour area, the beach - nearly empty, and the buildings which made up the former Olympic Village. Heading away from the water, we passed by the Agbar Tower, a striking building in the shape of a rocket, as well as more traditional architecture on our way to our first stop: La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi's masterpiece.
La Sagrada Familia
An interior view
Fortunately we had pre-booked our visit to this wonderful place, since it was very crowded. We were one among many school groups, and ordinary tourists abounded as well. We had also reserved tickets up one of the towers, so that is what we did first. I really enjoyed the bird's eye view over the city.
Close up to some of La Sagrada Familia's unique features.
The light pouring in from the colourful windows.
After we descended, the students left to explore on their own while Dan and I lingered in the church to try, as best as we could, to take in its many beautiful features. Most of these were still fresh in my memory from my recent visit, but I also discovered some new things to look at this time around. For instance, I had not noticed the whimsical doors on the Nativity façade previously, but this time, they caught my fancy.
These doors have little insects carved into them. Is Gaudi Gaudy?
Classroom for the worker's children in La Sagrada Familia
After a light lunch, Dan and I returned to the bus to make our way north to Park Guell, another famous Gaudi site. I was surprised to discover that entry there was no longer free (as it had been in 2011). Instead, there was a fee and a limit on the number of visitors allowed on site at any time. Since we would have had to wait too long to enter the grounds, we walked around the perimeter instead, so that Dan could see some of its charm, before we returned once again to the bus and completed the loop.
Park Guell

A Gaudi mosaic in Park Guell
Plaça Catalunya
We found ourselves again in the centre of Barcelona, and headed towards Las Ramblas, Barcelona's famous pedestrian walkway. Dan was especially keen to see la Boqueria, the wonderful marketplace there. This is a site well worth visiting; I bought some delicious chocolate covered nuts. Fifteen minutes later, I discovered that I had been robbed. My wallet had been lifted out of my purse, and I had not even noticed.

Crowds on Las Ramblas

Dan and I shared a container of strawberries like these. They were on display at La Boqueria, the scene of the crime - I think.
Just like that, my day turned from pretty great, to not so good. Thank god, I was with Dan! He knew exactly what I had to do. After we retraced our steps and looked in garbage bins along the way (in the faint hope that the wallet had been thrown away after the thief took my money), we made our way to the closest police station to file a report. I lost a lot of Euros, three credit cards, two bank cards, my driver's license, and all my important Swiss cards. I spent much of that evening on the phone to Canada and to my husband, and several hours the following week reporting my losses to the Swiss authorities. It was a big hassle but I realize it could have been much much worse. Had my purse been taken, I would have lost my iPhone, my eReader, my prescription sunglasses, and my camera too. And I have learned a hard lesson: to carry less with me and to be even more careful.

Over our paella dinner that evening, the students and Dan were very good to me. Several of the kids offered to loan me money if I needed it, but I managed fine on the emergency funds set aside for this trip.
Viggo and Matt as Oscar and Felix in an excerpt from The Odd Couple.
The next day, the NESDA competition began. We had three acting pairs and two debate teams; also, some of our kids did double and triple duty, participating as well in impromptu speaking, original oratory and oral interpretation. Thus, we had someone in every event. During our weeks of preparations, we had had several obstacles to overcome, with illness effecting three of our team members, but we all pulled together in Barcelona. Our opponents came from International Schools from The Hague, Brussels, Berlin, Munich, Dusseldorf, Prague, Vienna, Cairo and Barcelona, our hosts.
Matt and Katie prepare for debating.
I was proud of all our students, even though only three entries moved on to quarter final events: Lauren in impromptu speaking, Matt and Katie in debate, and Vanessa and Scott in duet acting. The latter pair gave the performance of their lives on Saturday, leading to hysterical laughter among the spectators and the judges - and perfect scores across the board.

Coaches dinner at a tapas place. What a great group of people!
We had to wait until the next morning for the finals, however. In the meantime, the coaches went out for dinner together in the Born part of Barcelona, very close to where I had stayed three years before. I knew the way and acted as guide for everyone.We enjoyed a feast of tapas courtesy of the host school - a good thing for me, since I had no money.
Vanessa and Scott as Mona and Denny in Finger Food.
I judged Oral Interpretation with Holly (Munich), Nicole (Prague) and Doug (Cairo).
In the finals, our star team performed well again, but the competition was very talented too so I was not sure how they would place. Imagine our joy when they were announced as the winners!! Well deserved, Vanessa and Scott - you were a source of great pride for all of us.
The three top teams in duet acting - all were very good and very funny as well. Our winning duo are on the right.
Shortly after the students were awarded their medals, we headed to the airport and home.

I love the concept of NESDA. Too often we neglect the spoken word in school and students live in fear of speaking in front of their peers, but in this competition, words are celebrated. Now I have a t-shirt to remember this event. And, as I write this, I also have replaced almost all the cards I lost.
My NESDA t-shirt.





No comments:

Post a Comment